Thursday, September 17, 2009

NEPHI 4 & 5

Chapter 4 is sometimes called the Psalm of Nephi. We discovered that the psalm has four parts. We paraphrased the following verses: 15 - 16: I (Nephi) delight in the Lord's words; 17 - 19: Nevertheless....my sins bring me sorrow; 20-25: Nevertheless....I know God has blessed me, guided me, and filled me with His love; 26-27: O then, why...why do I continue to sin? We then read verses 29-35 to discover how Nephi found the strength to face his difficulties.
In verse 17 Nephi talks about his iniquities? We wondered what iniquities Nephi was talking about (OK, I wondered). In verse 13 we learn that Laman and Lemuel are again angry with Nephi. In verses 27 & 28 Nephi is asking why he is angry because of his enemy and he asks God to help him not be angry again because of his enemies. I believe this is the iniquity Nephi is referring to.
We tried to compare chapter 5 to ourselves. In verse 5 the Lord warned Nephi -- the Lord warns us of danger. Nephi was to flee into the wilderness -- we have been warned to flee wickedness. Nephi took all who would go with him -- we have been counseled to associate with good friends who believe as we do. Verse 6 tells us the people who went with Nephi believed in the warnings and revelations of God -- we have been counseled to hearken to the words of our parents, our leaders and our prophet. Verse 7 says that they journeyed many days until they found a new place to live -- for us it sometimes takes significant effort for us to do what we have been prompted to do.
What challenges do we face that the above verses help us with: friends, parties, free time work, school, TV, movies, the Internet, music, books, magazines, etc.? How can the principle of fleeing wickedness apply to these challenges?
Oh, and by the way, tomorrow is FRIDAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment